May 01, 2008

Whacked-out Weather

So, its no mystery to anyone that the weather has been WEIRD this year, but here's just how weird it has been... this evening, on my way home I passed a weather spotter just outside of my home, which lead me to check the NOAA's website for weather warnings. On the NOAA's page, for my particular locale, there was a Tornado Watch and a Blowing Snow Advisory. I'll give that a second to sink-in... okay... tornados and snow.

I realize that I'm not a meteorologist, but I'm pretty-sure I understand the basic physics (in principle) behind how tornados form, so I'm utterly mystified at how a tornado could be formed in a weather system that is also going to drop SNOW!?!?

It turns out, that they aren't the same two systems, but two. However, you can imagine my shock at my initial reading of the warnings.

No comments: