May 16, 2008

Cisco VPN on Ubuntu 8.04

One thing I hadn't tried following my upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04 was VPN. I use the Cisco VPN client with has native Linux support. Unfortunately, the install of the VPN client in Ubuntu 8.04 is horribly broken, and not just to the point of re-installing... 'cause it won't, without a patch. I had started hacking through the code on my own, but decided to do a quick check to see if anyone out there had already conquered this particular Linux Monster. In fact, someone had.

The patch went in without a hitch and the install took-off without incident.

I have the VPN connection up and all is well...

3 comments:

doschman said...

Ah! I just went through my trials and tribulations on this and since I had such a bitch of a time with broken damn kernel code in Fedora. I've been lazy with posting my results; still in draft mode.

I did find a combination that works for 64-bit OS's.

You be interested in a Perl/Tk frontend for `vpnclient`? I've almost finished writing one for me; I don't mind running it command line, but I was bored and need to brush up on my Perl a bit, so it was fitting ;-)

C.J. Steele said...

yeah, if you have a Perl/TK front-end, I'd love to see it.

alex smith said...

I'm on business in China a lot. This country blocks a lot of websites. Additionally, being an American in China, and ordering something with an American credit card from an American site is usually impossible. I've used Relakks and Findnot before. Relakks is ok and cheap, but they are in Sweden. Findnot has US servers, but they wouldn't extend a prior one year subscription for another year, because I was - duh - in China! Their "customer service" was a joke. Finally, I found vpn. Sign-up was immediate. An initial snag with a password was resolved by a live, courteous, helpful person - Victor! Their bandwidth is great. My upload speed actually improved!