May 23, 2008

iwl3945 performance is hideous

After upgrading to Ubuntu 8.04LTS, I noticed a DRAMATIC difference in the performance of the wireless on my HP nx9420... by "dramatic" I mean the difference of being able to download at between 4 and 8MB to downloading at never greater than 512K. That's pretty extreme. That said, I have previously noted that the iwl3945 drivers that shipped with 8.04 were broken and that I had to use the Linux Wireless Project's compatibility drivers. I suspect this is the root of my problems.

I've found a bug that indicates that the iwl3945 problems are not unique to me or my nx9420, and though most people have been able to remedy the problem simply by installing the LWP's compat drivers, I do not think this is a very solid solution on account of the fact that it leaves you with a functional yet extremely crippled wireless rig.

I'll continue working on this, but if anyone else has experienced this problem and has something they'd like to share as far as solutions are concerned, I'd LOVE to hear from you.

No comments: