March 05, 2009

Requiescat en pacem, Maria Louise Meyer

I remember the first day I met Louise: it was the fall of '02 and I was walking home from the grocery store, alone. I suspect most people remember the first day they met Louise. On Friday, February 27th, Louise was killed in a car accident.

I found out about the accident Friday afternoon, while driving home from a client site in Iowa -- Amanda, called and told me. I was stunned. The more I think about it, the more tragic her passing is. The thing that hits me the hardest is her two boys: August and
Leonard. I can't help but think about them even now.

Jerome, Louise's husband, is understandably devastated. I can't even fathom what he's going through. As selfish as it may sound, I think trying to empathize with Jerome is what really tore me up: the thought of losing my wife, my Queen, coupled with the thought of having to
raise the kids without her love and support is just incomprehensible to me.

I went over to see Jerome this morning, and to express my condolences and found myself surrounded by Louise's friends and family -- I was staggered to see so many people from so many different places and ways of life, all bound by their kinship or friendship with Louise, were
there.

I've never lost a friend like this, and though I know she won't be the last, I'll always remember her and how her passing affected me on a personal level.

Requiescat en pacem, Maria Louise Meyer.

1 comment:

Fr. Andrew said...

Terrible news and so young. I will remember Maria in my Mass tonight and pray for her husband and children as well.