February 11, 2009

GNOME Network Manager STILL 100% FAIL

Almost a year ago I wrote about WICD for the first time. Mostly out of frustration for how badly Network Manager SUCKED. Well, nine months later I'm writing about WICD again, and again its due to Network Manager FAIL. My office uses an WPA+TKIP access point... this is pretty standard stuff... but Network Manager COULD NOT ASSOCIATE ME TO THE AP!!!! O-M-F-G!? So long as that hunk of shit is the default network manager in Ubuntu, Mint, Arch, etc., Linux will not gain widespread acceptance. WICD FTW!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hey Corey..I would agree on Network Manager. I'm a Linux newb and have hated Network Manager from day one. Are there any good alternatives? Later...Mike S.

C.J. Steele said...

wicd is the best alternative I've found.

I suggest you do the simple instructions below:
** from console, type `apt-get update`
** then, `apt-get -y install wicd`
** then, run `wicd-client`
** profit?

-C