March 05, 2009

FC10 on G3 iMac

I did something rash today: I installed Fedora Core 10 on a G3 iMac. This was not accomplished without some difficulty -- and as near as I can tell, a substantial bit of luck. I hit a number of snags:
  • FC10's anaconda installer wouldn't run in graphical mode
  • There isn't a documented way to launch the text mode
  • Seven CD installation
  • Missing `xterm` package
  • botched X autodetection and FB install
That anaconda wouldn't run in graphical mode isn't shocking -- its a bit disappointing, but not too shocking. Getting in to text mode though, that should've been well documented.

Okay, about the seven CD's. Yes, I know FC10 is available on DVD. Really, I do. However, my decrepid iMac only has a CD-ROM. SO, here's a thought: ship a base install that will get you a functional desktop without having to swap CD's like floppies of old. Holy crap.

My first attempts to fire-up X were thwarted by a missing xterm package. After carefully scouring each of the SEVEN discs, I discovered the xterm package was no where to be found. I downloaded it and installed it by hand. Not a big deal.

Unfortunately, missing xterm wasn't the biggest issue I've got with getting X going. The biggest issue is that the fbdev and ati driver do NOT work well with this chipset. I still have no graphical love. This is not so good. I've got ideas how to sort it out, but I can't get to those until I have more time.

No comments: