August 25, 2009

ESXi file transfer woes

SO, I recently built an ESXi server. Its nothing special, but she's got it where it counts. A comedy of errors has unfolded as I've tried to upload even a single ISO to the system. It shouldn't be this hard.

First, I tried upload images using the built-in function in vSphere. Unfortunately, VirtualBox OSE so grossly underperformed at this task that the uploads wouldn't complete, ever. For example, I began the 650MB upload of the OpenFiler virtual appliance at 2030, woke-up the next day and the session had STILL not completed. This is over my LAN, not the Internet. That's absurd!

Next, I enabled SSH and tried to use SFTP to upload. For some bizarre reason, I couldn't use the CLI sftp client, so I turned again to my VirtualBox XP install. WinSCP is a brilliant piece of code. It really is. And I suspect it would have worked marvelously if I weren't running it on the feable IP stack made available to it via VirtualBox. As it were, it couldn't maintain a session long enough to transfer even the 650MB virtual appliance for OpenFiler. :-(

At this point, I considered throwing in the towel on the whole network transfer gig and using DVD's to get my data up to the ESXi server, but that would've been too easy. SO, I enabled FTP on my ESXi server using the glorious instructions over at vm-help.com. Now, I can FTP files from my native Linux install, and its blazing fast, like it bloody should be!

The real beauty of all of this is that my foray into ESXi was prompted by my efforts to build a virtualized Hackint0sh. I had heard tell that it was possible using VMware Server, but I didn't have a whole lot of luck with that... so I used a Jedi mind-trick to convince myself that the logical choice was to build a full-out ESXi server. I think it was probably just an excuse.

Now that I'm finally able to upload to the box without serious difficulty, I know I'm not going to have the time to tackle the original Hackint0sh project because a friend sent me a pre-installed Hackint0sh! w00t!

No comments: