January 25, 2008

Migration Aid & Taxonomy

One of the things I'm struggling with in my Migration from Word Press (aside from the fact that my Server took a poop on itself this afternoon when I rebooted it) is the notion of the taxonomy. WP uses "categories", which are essentially the Web2.0 "tags", but I haven't any idea how they'll come into Blogger.

I've found a lovely bit of software from James E. Robinson, III which, despite its profound lack of documentation, promises to be quite utilitous in migrating my WordPress blog. The gist of it is you drop a couple of PHP files on your server, tweak them to point at your WordPress install, and hit them from a web-interface... the whole thing should be pretty smooth. Unfortunately, I can't test it right now because my server is presently down. :-(

Aside from the sheer act of getting the content over to Blogger, I'm considering the taxonomy of my new blog. My previous blog had a very simple, yet effective, set of tags: "soapbox", "faith", "family", "geekery", "travel" and "food". Initially, I expect I'll keep that same set of tags with the intention of elaborating on them at some point in the future.

I'm also looking for ways to integrate various other bits of my gLife (all my Google bits) into my blog. I suspect that shouldn't be too difficult, but I haven't yet explored that.

More to come.

1 comment:

James E. Robinson, III said...

Glad i have that vanity search for "james robinson profound". :)

I recently imported a second blog from WP to blogger and went a different route. I used a ruby script called feedBlogger.

It worked exceptionally well.

If you have more than 50 posts, you'll find this google groups posts helpful. He responded to my request within a few hours, on the weekend even.

It's the age of the content wad; where you host your blog doesn't matter...as long as google can find you. ;-)