October 07, 2008

fslint

Frequently, I find myself manually cleaning-up garbage files produced by various applications... be they the random swap files produced by `vi`, backup files ('*~'), or other similar riff-raff... with OS X, it had gotten so bad that I wrote a script to clean-up after Finder -- flushFinderCrap. Incidentally, I'm not the only one to loath the manual nature of this task, and some enterprising chap has written `fslint`. Bravo.

`fslint` basically automates the process of finding garbage files, or files that are otherwise undesireable, and reparing the issue(s). I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

Fr. Andrew said...

Is this something I should do?

C.J. Steele said...

I'd say, unless you're running tight on drive space or obtusely aware of these extraneous files, I wouldn't. I've never tested it on a system disk, only on USB drives. That said, if you give it a whack, the worst thing that could happen is you have to re-install your macbook. :-)